How Can I kick My Husband or Wife Out of The House? My Spouse Needs to Go

By | March 18, 2017

If you’re reading this, we know that you’re going through hell. After all, the person that you married is scaring you. They are behaving dangerous and you don’t know what to do. But you feel that your spouse needs to be gone from the house for your safety and the safety of your children. There may be numerous reasons why you feel they need to go (such as domestic violence or threatened abuse). But, how can you go about doing this? What is the likelihood of success? Will you just make things worse? This page, written by a family lawyer, should answer all of your basic questions.

In short, it is very difficult to kick your husband or wife out of the house on an emergency basis unless you can show he or she assaulted you or threatened to assault you or your children. If you can’t show that, you can still boot them out if you can convince a judge that there is potential of physical harm in the future to you or your children. But its more complicated than that so read the entire page below to get a better idea of what we’re talking. Or, even better, call a family lawyer for a consultation.


What are Residency or Dwelling Exclusions?

In order to kick our your spouse, you need to obtain a ‘residency or dwelling exclusion.’ These are fancy terms for “kick out” requests; it is also referred to as an order for exclusive occupancy. To legally kick a spouse out of the house, the law requires several requirements to be met. The outcome also depends on whether it this is an emergency or not. It really is contingent on the couple’s situation and the facts involved in the case.

Some More Necessary Basics

First, who owns the house that the family is living in? California is a community property state, which means that if the house was acquired while the couple was married then the house equally belongs to both spouses. It will take a lot more than a disagreement to be able to legally kick a spouse out of the house if your spouse is also a legal owner.

Even after a divorce, a separated couple can still own the house together for a period of time. Without an order from the court, one spouse would not be able to kick out the other. Both parties still have the rights to come and go from the property, during the divorce. There are limited circumstances in which you would be able to legally kick your spouse out of the house. If you have been abused by your husband or wife, you are likely able to make your spouse move out of the home. However, it is important that the instance/s of abuse can be proven or has been documented.

Getting an Order of Exclusive Occupancy to Kick Your Spouse Out of the House

How to Kick you Spouse Out of the House | JS Family Law AttorneyThere are two methods of getting an order to remove a spouse from the marital property.

The first method is an emergency order (ex parte). This is an order that is entered without a hearing and without notifying the other party first. We summarize the requirements for this method below. We list the basic requirements to get an emergency order for residency exclusion. You would need to provide the following:

  • Proof that the spouse staying in the family home has a legal right to do so; in other words, the right to take possession of the home
  • Proof that the spouse that is getting kicked out has assaulted the other spouse. This also includes the threat of assault to the other spouse or someone else under the other spouse’s care, custody or control (children). The proof may be documented occurrences of abuse.
  • Providing facts to the family court that show that there will certainty be physical or emotional harm to the other spouse or anyone under their care, custody and control or to a minor child if the abuser stays.

The legal text and specifics can be found in California Family Code 6321(b).

The second method is to obtain an order for exclusive use of the marital home by filing a motion with the judge. This is the more common method of kicking a spouse out of the house. After filing a motion for exclusive use of the home, your case will be heard in court. The difference in this method is that the other spouse is able to speak up and present his/her own facts and rebut claims against him/her. A judge will decide based on the facts that you’re able to prove that:

  • Ordering the other party to vacate the home is the only way to protect yourself and the children
  • He/she attempted to cause or has recklessly caused bodily harm by acts of physical violence
  • Caused you or the children to fear him/her by threatening or being forceful
  • Did something that is defined as child abuse
  • Behaved in a manner that was abusive to you or the minor children, whether physical or verbal

In either method, the court needs to consider whether denying this request to kick a spouse out of the house will put the other party and children’s safety in jeopardy[1]. In other words, there is a high risk of physical, emotional, or verbal harm if that abusive spouse is not removed from the home. If the court denies the motion, a brief statement must be written describing the reasons for the decision. The only reason that a court would issue an order to exclude a person from the property is if there is evidence of physical or emotional harm threatening the other party, the minor children, or anyone else who is under the care of the requesting spouse.

What if There is No Danger Involved? Can I Still Kick My Husband/Wife Out of The House?

If there is no abuse or potential for abuse then it will be very difficult to kick your husband or wife out. Without any proof that there was abuse or that you and/or your minor children are in danger of being abused, a court would not be able to grant you an order or exclusive occupancy. Your spouse, that you are trying to kick out, will have full access to the home. On the other hand, just because you don’t have an order to legally kick him/her out of the house doesn’t mean that you’d have to live with them until the divorce is finalized.

Oftentimes, one spouse will voluntarily move out of the house during a separation period or when the divorce process begins. If your spouse doesn’t move out of the house, you can choose to temporarily move out of the house while the divorce is in progress. But talk to your family lawyer before doing so to ensure you don’t inadvertently give up any rights to your marital property. You still own the house and you are still entitled to making decisions about the house. During the divorce, you and your spouse will discuss the terms of the home, either selling it, co-owning it with one spouse living in the house, or selling the property and splitting the funds.

During a divorce, there may be animosity between the spouses and things might get ugly. Without any instances of violence to kick the other spouse out, one might fake injuries or treats to get the police to document abuse. For example, a wife might self-inflict bodily injury causing a visible bruise, then call the police to report abuse by her husband. Do not do this. This is ridiculous, however it does happen in real life just to get a restraining order to remove the husband/wife.

It’s important to know that restraining orders don’t just last through the end of the divorce, it will have effect on court decisions on child custody for 5 years. Under California Family Code § 3044, a person who has domestic violence on their record won’t be able to have custodial time with their children for 5 years. It is very important to discuss living arrangements with an open mind and cooperation. If talking civilly with your spouse is not an option, work with your family lawyer to get things figured out as soon as possible.

The biggest challenge of voluntarily moving out of the family home is figuring out the effects it will have on your parenting abilities. If you have children, the parent-child relationship may be impacted when one parent leaves the home. Although, both parents staying in the home during the divorce process may also prove to be a challenge. You should talk to a family lawyer to discuss what the best options are for you and your family.

[1] California Family Law Code § 6340

13 thoughts on “How Can I kick My Husband or Wife Out of The House? My Spouse Needs to Go

  1. Amber Moore

    Husband has people who use drugs come and stay in house. There are young children in house. How unwanted guests be Removed? They have been asked to leave and wont.

  2. Ttoy Bennett

    I don’t want to get a divorce but every time me and my wife are you she threatens to kick me out and I keep telling I’m not leaving when I don’t know what’s wrong with you half the time But definitely there’s no abuse or fighting just a lot of verbal and wordplay fussing I just ignore it now but my question is since were married Can she kick me out because basically I have nowhere to go if she did that and I don’t think it’s fair if she did when I did nothing wrong

  3. Lakienya

    To whom it may concern my husband and I don’t see eye to eye anymore there is no abuse or harm done to either one of us also we don’t have children together I just think 5 years of marriage has ran it’s course so I want him to leave. What should I do.

  4. Aaron O’Connor

    I live in Middleburg Florida with my girlfriend and our 2 year old daughter, my girlfriend has become extremely aggressive to the point of repeatedly cussing at our child, saying she is going to drug her and physically harm her when she will not sleep, also my daughter has witnessed her cutting her wrist when she was having one of her flip outs. I do not feel safe anymore with her living here and I need her gone before she does do something. The house is in my families name and we are not married. Please let me know what to do.

  5. Administrator Post author

    You should call a lawyer to evaluate your options.

  6. Mary

    I moved out of my home with my children because my husband has a drinking problem and becomes belligerent when intoxicated. Will this affect my custody rights?

  7. Shanika johnson

    She has section but added me on lease when we got married and I have no we’re else to go me are my son can she jus make me leave

  8. Beverly Settles

    I was awarded house in a divorce.
    2. Remarried
    3. Does the property becomes joint property as before? Or the court order stands as written.
    4.I found out, he had taken out a loan against the property without my authorization after he moved out
    Please help

  9. Lori Nelson

    I live in Boyd City Arizona my husband has hit me before my children have seen it but how do I make him leave he says he’s not leaving he has been very abusive verbally to my family I’ve had cops come before to my house since there was no physical damage on me or my kids when I called they were going to take us all the jail for arguing I talked him out of it the cops but he’s the one that starts the arguing and verbally attacking my family and me constantly we are renting our home in Bullhead City Arizona how do I make him leave I have a young child in my home how do I make him leave I don’t like the verbal abuse he needs to be removed in the home my children and I should not have to leave our home because an abusive husband how do I get the judge to get a restraining order to get him out of the house and make him move out because he’s very abusive to us

  10. Nadine Metz

    My daughter is experiencing verbal abuse from her husband. He has threatened to “kill her” several times. When she has warned him to stop the verbal abuse and threats or she will call the police, he has stated he will kill her before they get to the home. He leaves the home frequently and is spending money to the point she has been short to pay bills, withdrew money from savings which has angered him. She has a small child, 23 months old and doesn’t know what to do. I am encouraging her to seek counseling alone, he refuses to go with hopes it will weigh in with the courts should it become a reality. Can you advise what she should do. She is looking to protect herself and her daughter under the law; not actually wishing for a divorce. (She lives in Erie County, NY)

  11. Administrator Post author

    That is terrible. Unfortunately, I cannot advise her at all. I am licensed in CA, not NY.

  12. Administrator Post author

    I’m sorry you’re going through this issue. But we only practice in CA. You need to talks to a AZ lawyer asap.

  13. Administrator Post author

    That depends. I strongly recommend that you contact a family lawyer in your area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *